/* javascript ----------------------------------------------- */ <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d6234500\x26blogName\x3dChina+Letter-News+and+Human+Rights\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://uygurletter.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_AU\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://uygurletter.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d2962660376196259147', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

China Letter-News and Human Rights

China human rights news with focus on the Uygur of Xinjiang, Tibetans and Tibet, Chinese mining workers, religion, corruption and censorship.

Tuesday, March 23, 2004

U.S. Proposes Resolution Condemning China's Human Rights Record

P Reuters.com:

U.N. Human Rights Commisssion"The United States urged a U.N. watchdog on Monday to condemn China's 'backsliding' on human rights despite Beijing's warning the move could affect warming Sino-U.S. ties. As expected, the United States proposed a resolution at the annual session of the Geneva-based U.N. Human Rights Commission "

Well I have lost my bet. For some time now I have been saying that the U.S. would not propose a resolution at this years U.N. Human Rights Commission currently meeting in Geneva condemning China's Human Rights record over the last twelve months.

I must admit I had wavered but maintained till the end that I was right. I have a favorite saying I use with my daughter all the time "Darling I have been known to be wrong in my life, the last time was back in 1972 I think". Well she will stick it to me now.

But all levity aside I believe that this is an important part of the process of maintaining pressure on China as regards Human Rights. I will be the first to admit that they have improved dramatically in the years since the Cultural Revolution but they just need to take that "quantum leap".